Sky War

Doriți să reacționați la acest mesaj? Creați un cont în câteva clickuri sau conectați-vă pentru a continua.
Sky War

Fantasy, fiction, literature and art... All these in one!

2 participanți

Song Of A Ningyo

FreedomInfinity
    FreedomInfinity
    Soldier
    Soldier

feminin Rac
    Capra
    Job/hobbies : Drawing, writing, anime/manga

Song Of A Ningyo Empty Song Of A Ningyo

Mesaj Scris de FreedomInfinity Dum Mai 17, 2009 12:41 pm

This is a story I wrote for a contest at an anime convention. It had to be about a Japanese legend. Some background information: This story was based on the legend of the Ningyo, a Japanese version of the mermaid looking something like a cross between a monkey and a carp. A Ningyo cannot speak, but it’s voice has a pleasant sound like a flute, and if it ever sheds tears it will be transformed into a human. Anyone who eats a Ningyo’s meat will become nearly immortal. But a Ningyo also brings bad luck or tragedy to those who catch it, and when they wash upon beaches it is said to be an omen of war.

Song Of A Ningyo

“You are a noble’s daughter, it’s time you start acting like one!”
    “I’d rather be the daughter of an ordinary farmer if that meant I could marry a man I love.” Her voice was cold and steady, not wanting to let her father know she was on the verge of tears.
    “It is an old tradition that helps to maintain the peace and prosperity in our and surrounding countries. You will marry that man and you will show respect for my decision.”
    “I won’t!” with that, Nanami fled from her father’s presence, not able to hold the tears back anymore.

Yes… that was what had happened. That was why she was sitting here now, crying. All alone on the beach, not caring about her clothes getting dirty with mud, or her hair being messed up by the hard wind. She actually kinda liked it, it matched her mood.
    She’d never seen herself as a noble’s daughter. She’d never wanted to be. If she wasn’t, she wouldn’t have to marry that arrogant jerk from their neighbour country. She assumed he was a jerk anyway, it wasn’t like she had ever met him or anything.
    Nanami looked up when dark clouds covered the sun and soft drops of water hit her skin. Rain.., she thought, perfect. And those clouds looked as if they contained some heavy thunder as well. She didn’t care if it was dangerous to stay, she didn’t want to go home. Lifting her head to the sky, she let the rain wash off the still flowing tears.
    Suddenly, a high, clear sound pierced the air. Something like a flute, but more beautiful. The sound had a strange calming effect on her. It made her want to find it’s source. Walking down the shore, looking for something or someone making that mysterious sound. Her thin summer dress flapping around her ankles, heavy with water. She didn’t even feel it, hypnotized by the music seemingly emerging from the wild sea in front of her. Finally she spotted something lying on the beach, close to the sea as if just washed upon the shore. A soft golden light emitted from the spot it was lying. It didn’t look human, neither did it look like anything other she’d ever seen before. But whatever it was, it looked like it was in trouble. She broke into a run and was at the creatures side in no time.
    Now she was finally able to see it’s face properly. It was definitely not a human’s face, but resembled one in some way. It’s skin shone like gold and looking down, she saw a golden fishtail where it’s legs should’ve been.
    The creature looked up, and when their eyes locked she felt like she couldn’t breathe for a moment. This creature may not look like a human, but she was sure she saw human emotions in it’s eyes. It looked pleading at her, before directing it’s gaze to the sea. A low, longing sound left it’s mouth again. Nanami understood what the creature was trying to say. He wanted to go home. Upon seeing the creature’s longing for it’s home, she was filled with a sudden desire to go home as well, even if that meant being married against her will. But whatever she decided to do, she needed to help this poor being first. She put her hands on it’s tail, and pushed it towards the sea. The creature tried to help her, pushing itself forward with its weirdly shaped hands. He was a lot heavier than she’d expected, but she had to go on. Because if she didn’t help him, who would? He was to weak in his current state to do this all by himself. Several big bruises covered his body, and blood was dripping out of a wound on his side. He must’ve been caught in a shipwreck or something.
    When they finally reached the sea, Nanami was exhausted. She pushed him a little deeper into the water, so he would be able to swim away. He began to struggle harder and managed to come loose from the ground and float in the knee deep water. With a couple of strokes of his strong tail he disappeared under the surface, releasing one last thankful flute-like sound.

Nanami didn’t know how long she’d been standing there before her father’s servants found her, but soon after that, she was standing, soaking wet, in the arms of her worried father. He was talking about something, but she didn’t really listen, she didn’t really care.
    “I know this is hard for you, but when you’re older you’ll understand. It won’t be as bad as you think it’ll be now. You can learn to love him, and when that moment comes you will be very happy, a daughter I can be proud of.”
    With every word the man spoke, Nanami felt more and more depressed. How could he say things like that? This was her father, wasn’t he supposed to love and support her no matter what?
    “He will come to visit us next week, and stay till after the wedding. Then he will take you with him. Until that time, you will stay in your room to prevent things like this happening again.”

She didn’t have a choice, she had to do it. She couldn’t run, she couldn’t hide, she couldn’t refuse. If she didn’t marry him their countries would be at war for sure. But that didn’t mean she had to like it. Silent tears ran down her face as she looked at the almost full moon from her balcony. Her thoughts wandered to what happened earlier that day. It had been a beautiful creature. Just the memory of it’s soft and kind eyes, it’s shining scales, and it’s absolutely amazing voice made her smile. Then, that same amazing voice interrupted her thoughts. There, in the water below, was the golden sea creature singing to her with the flute-like sound. Upon seeing him, Nanami’s tears dried and her smile grew bigger.

And so it went every day for the next week. The creature stayed at her side every day, and sung her to sleep at night, only going below the surface when someone entered the girl’s room. The creature being the only company she had, Nanami began talking to it. First it was about little things, but soon she opened her heart and told him everything. About her father, the wedding and the war that would follow if she didn’t do it. She didn’t know if he could understand human words, but she was thankful to at least have a friend. Growing up in this protected environment she never had a chance to hang out with other kids.

It was the day before the wedding. Today the he would come, the man she was forced to marry. Like every other day for the past week, Nanami waited on her balcony for the creature to show up, but he didn’t come. It was already late in the afternoon, and he still wasn’t there. She was worried. What could’ve happened to him? But much time to wonder she didn’t get, because one of the servants came to get her for dinner. That could only mean one thing: her fiancé had arrived.
    On the way to the dining room the servant told her about the special dish they would prepare for this event. Some rare sort of fish apparently, Nanami hadn’t really listened as she was to busy worrying about her friend.
    When they passed the kitchens, strange noises caught her attention. It sounded like a struggle, but that wasn’t unusual. The chefs had to deal with pretty big fishes all the time, and they could give quite the fight. It was an other sound that made her freeze on the spot. It was the sound of a flute.
    Nanami forced herself to move and wasted no more time. She threw the door open, only to see the most shocking thing in her life. Her friend was laying on the counter, held down with tight ropes, about to be killed by a knife wielding chef. Upon seeing her, the poor being struggled even more against the ropes, releasing desperate cries. Tears of despair sparkled in his eyes and rolled down his cheeks.
    The next moment there was a blinding golden light, and the knife came down. When the light went out, Nanami could see what happened, and it was an absolutely horrid sight. It wasn’t a sea creature laying dead on the now bloodstained counter, but a young man. Nanami gasped when she saw his face. It was so similar to the one of her friend that there couldn’t be any doubt. Her stomach felt like it would explode any second now. She couldn’t help it, she threw up on the kitchen floor, her tears mixing with the vomit.

This couldn’t be. It just couldn’t be true. Her only friend couldn’t be killed! Half running, half stumbling she made her way through the many hallways, only to end up in her room again. Locking the door behind her, she made her way to the balcony, knocking a statue over in the process. She clutched the railing, but couldn’t stay on her feet. She sunk to her knees.
    “NOOOO!!!” her scream pierced through the silent night. “Why.. why?” why did this have to happen? Why couldn’t she do anything right? Maybe it’d be best if she…
    Then she laid eyes on the broken statue she knocked over just a moment ago.

How would it be… death? Was her friend in a better place now, a peaceful world? Would she be able to join him, or would she go to an other place? Was there even a thing called heaven? Would there be one great nothing?
    These were the thoughts going through her head as she stood at the edge of the balcony, at the wrong side of the railing. Unsteady on her feet because of the big rock she clutched in her arms. An improvised rope, made of one of her dresses, connected the stone to her ankles. Thinking about what she was about to do, tears ran down her face again as she stared at the reflection of the full moon on the water. A soft knocking on her door was heard, but not paid attention to. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. All her senses tingled and her mind screamed at her not to let go of the railing, but she didn’t listen. She let the rock slip from her fingers.

Feedback is very much appreciated ^_^
    ThumbsUp
    ThumbsUp
    Soldier
    Soldier

masculin Posts : 403
    Job/hobbies : volunteer work at the animal shelter/bass guitar/manga/anime/drawing/painting/poëtry/yoga/training in general

Song Of A Ningyo Empty Re: Song Of A Ningyo

Mesaj Scris de ThumbsUp Mier Mai 20, 2009 3:18 pm

a very moving story my complements o.o i do have a couple of pointers though

- why exactly would she want to go bck to her farther and the castle.. might want to give that more depth as it sounds kinda ... well... silly/good for nothing

- she pushed the creature on its tail this would mean that the creatures tail was point towards the beach and the front towards the ocean, normally the head is towardsd the beach and the tail towards the ocean or at least that is how i would imagine it
    FreedomInfinity
    FreedomInfinity
    Soldier
    Soldier

feminin Rac
    Capra

Mesaj Scris de FreedomInfinity Mier Mai 20, 2009 3:36 pm

Thanks for reading it ^_^

And in response to your comments: Nanami is very emotional at the time, and as she sees how the Ningyo longs for it's home, she thinks about her own home, and misses it. She basically has nowhere else to go, and it is her home and her father after all... and the story takes place in the past, and in those times women were to behave and do as they were told. Nanami is used to that, so she would've eventually gone home anyway.
    How something washes upon the beach depends on in which direction it was facing, and in which direction the waves push it. In my own experience with the sea, the waves can be pretty powerful and when they come crashing down on you, you can land on the beach in any position :P
    ThumbsUp
    ThumbsUp
    Soldier
    Soldier

Job/hobbies : volunteer work at the animal shelter/bass guitar/manga/anime/drawing/painting/poëtry/yoga/training in general

Mesaj Scris de ThumbsUp Mier Mai 20, 2009 3:40 pm

ok but about the longing for home u might want to make it more clearly for the every day person as it cannot be read anywhere in the text even if we all get it thought during history class, just a point i wanted to share
    FreedomInfinity
    FreedomInfinity
    Soldier
    Soldier

feminin Rac
    Capra

Mesaj Scris de FreedomInfinity Mier Mai 20, 2009 3:50 pm

Okay, thanks for the feedback ^_^ I'll work on explaining the feelings of my characters better
    ThumbsUp
    ThumbsUp
    Soldier
    Soldier

Mesaj Scris de ThumbsUp Mier Mai 20, 2009 3:53 pm

np and i am interested as to how that turned out :please:

also i'd like to edit my previous comment about it some more

basically u have a very emotional story here, u could make the thought of going bck to the castle more emotional so it fits more with the story, also this reminds me some words/sentences are of a different "style" then others dunno if that was ur point
    FreedomInfinity
    FreedomInfinity
    Soldier
    Soldier

feminin Rac
    Capra

Mesaj Scris de FreedomInfinity Vin Mai 22, 2009 11:29 pm

Well, I'm not gonna edit this story anymore... I kinda wrote it 10 months ago xD ... but it's one of the few I wrote in English... normally I write in Dutch, but I can't post that here on the forum :P ... but I think I've improved a bit during that time. And the reason I'm not gonna edit this one anymore is that I'll be able to see the difference in style and quality of my writing. It's always nice to look back and see how you've improved and what still needs work.
    But I still have lots to learn, so every advice is welcome ^_^ ...

I don't really get what you mean when you say that some words/sentences are of a different style... can you explain that a bit? Maybe give some examples of what you noticed?
    ThumbsUp
    ThumbsUp
    Soldier
    Soldier

Mesaj Scris de ThumbsUp Sam Mai 23, 2009 9:11 am

well some words/sentences are in a rather sad style while others are more like put in a lame/street slang kind of way which make the story have different moods/atmospheres
    FreedomInfinity
    FreedomInfinity
    Soldier
    Soldier

feminin Rac
    Capra

Mesaj Scris de FreedomInfinity Sam Mai 23, 2009 10:47 am

Oh yeah, that :P ... I've had troubles with deciding in what style I want to write a story, and ended up using them through eachother... It isn't as bad as it used to be, but it's still something I have to watch out for ^_^ so thanks for mentioning it.
    ThumbsUp
    ThumbsUp
    Soldier
    Soldier

Mesaj Scris de ThumbsUp Sam Mai 23, 2009 10:59 am

no problem ^^ and as i have stated it is not such a problem considering it depends more on what kind of mood u want to create rather then it influencing the quality

Continut sponsorizat

Mesaj Scris de Continut sponsorizat

Data/ora curentă este: Joi Mai 02, 2024 6:13 pm